Sunday 15 January 2012

Marsh Harrier roost

At last a good day out and about, and what a lovely day. Whilst I moved out of the village and the surrounding area today I have to mention the Marsh Harrier roost at the Woolpack down by Brooklands.

After a day at Dungeness and West Hythe I decided to finish the day off by going to the viewing point by the Woolpack Pub to look for raptors and owls. When I arrived a met a couple of really nice guys Brian and his dad Martin. We spent the next hour watching the Marsh Harriers coming into roost, and at on stage had 10 flying around in front of us. We also had a Buzzard early on but unfortunately no sign of any Hen Harriers or Owls. It was mentioned that Barn Owls, which used to be seen regularly have not been seen by some time, in fact the last one I saw was on New Years Day last year.

When it got too dark to see any more we packed up and headed back to the cars. I did what I normally do and drive back across the marsh with my headlights on full beam to maybe catch site of an owl. I had only gone about 400 yards past the Woolpack when I saw a Barn Owl sitting on a post at the side of the road, flying off as I got closer. So if you are reading this Brian, there is one still around, hope you see one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment