Friday 28 October 2011

Newcomers to the garden



During my week off I turned my shed at the top of the garden into a make shift hide so I could take some better photographs and moved some bird feeders to the plum tree.  Yesterday I caught a glimpse of what looked like a Coal Tit.  So today I sat in the shed for 2 hours, camera in hand and waited to see what turned up.  Within 5 minutes the birds started to come to the feeders, and yes! a Coal Tit, this was really exciting as I had not had one in the garden before.  It was coming to the feeders really fast and I started to think that there was more then one, and then I had one on the bird table and one on the feeder at the same time, so I now  definitly had 2.  I spent the next hour or so trying to get some decent photo's, which was a struggle in the poor light conditions.  I then noticed a bird appear at the back of the plum tree which at first I thought was a House Sparrow, but quickly discarded this as a saw a flash of red and then thought it was a Goldfinch, but I could not get a good view.  Suddenly the bird flew down to the bird bath to drink and I nearly fell out the shed trying to get my camera up, it was a Redpoll, another first for my garden.  Within 5 minutes I had 3 in the surrounding trees and bushes.  So 2 new comers in one day to the garden, which brightened up a miserable overcast day.  Roll on tommorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment