Wednesday 27 May 2020

Day out in Kent

Having an extra day off following the Bank Holiday I went off to a few Kent birding spots.  First was Oare Marshes, arriving at 05:30 to the view of a Spoonbill sleeping in the East Flood.  Walking along the sea wall I managed to get a long distance shot before it left.  Arriving early had its advantages as a lot of birders missed it.  Heavily cropped image below.


There were some good birds around, 58 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Cuckoo and plenty of Sedge and Reed Warblers




Altogether 35 species of birds in 2 hours, some good photo opportunities including a Mute Swan coming into land.


The other highlight was 3 Bearded Tits that popped up in front of me but unfortunately I could not get a good photo as they went very quick.

I then drove down the coast to
Northdown Park to see the Parakeets.  I didn't stay long as too busy for me in this current lock-down situation, I got a few photo's of the Parakeet and then left hastily.


My last stops was to Grove Ferry and Stodmarsh.  At Grove it was very quiet but I did see a very vocal Lesser Whitethroat which was nice to see. Altogether 24 species and all the common birds expected, but little else about.

Onto Stodmarsh and as soon as I left the car park on the trail I had a Treecreeper land in the tree in front.  It obviously had young as it was busily collecting insects.  I could't get a great picture due to it being dark under the tree, the best is below.



There was an abundance of birds singing, plenty of Blackcaps, Chiff Chaff, Common /Whitethroat and Wren's. I also saw a Mistle Thrush, first one this year and a family of Long Tailed Tits, feeding the fledged young who were being very demanding.

Onto the wall and good views of Marsh Harrier being mobbed by a lapwing, and 5 Hobbies hawking for the dragonflies.



Also a Grey Heron flew over and Linnet sitting up on top of the scrub






Back on the return trail to the car park and at the entrance to the track to the hide (blocked off due to Covid-19) was a singing Nighingale, and the final bird of the day was a Goldcrest just before getting back to the car.  In all 36 species for Stodmarsh and a good days birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment