Thursday 28 May 2020

Tree Sparrow's again

Another early morning walk along the canal but a lot cooler then previous mornings with a NE wind, but still a lovely sunrise.  At first the walk was quiet, no Cuckoo calling and very little birds singing apart from a couple of Reed Bunting.  As I neared the pump house I heard a Cuckoo in the distance and birds started to appear and sing, but not being very obliging for the camera, which for once I took with me.

As I turned to head back home to start work a group of Goldfinch landed in the bush in front of me, with some newly fledged young.  Then along side these flew 4 other birds, Tree Sparrows.  The week previously I had seen 3 Tree Sparrows at the beginning of the canal, so it was nice to see them again as they are getting so hard to find now.  I unfortunately could not get a picture as they flew quickly.  The trip back down was nice, with 2 more cuckoo's both flying past me, more Reed Warbler, Barn Swallows and Swifts

Nearing the end of the canal I again had 3 birds fly into the bush in front of me, and again, Tree Sparrows, which I assume are the same as last week as this was the same place.  This time I managed to get a picture, although not great but the best view I could get


I also saw a nice Skylark flying high into the sky and a Meadow Pipit, which I had not seen there for a while.

On arriving home I recovered my new toy which is a remote motion sensor wildlife camera which I had set up for 36 hours.  On download the 186 photo's and videos I enjoyed looking at a number of birds, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird (feeding young) and Chaffinch.  What I was not expecting was a Grey Squirrel eating the seeds I had put down, it was a surprise as in 17 years we had never seen a squirrel in our garden.  So will set the camera up again soon somewhere else and see what other surprises we get.

Blackbird feeding young


Squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment