Saturday 10 March 2012

Crossbills in the woods

Early start before I go out with the family and a trip to Faggs Wood before the dog walkers all come out to play. Overcast morning with poor visibility but a nice morning with the Song Thrushes and Robins singing, Green Woodpecker calling out and the Greater Spotted seemingly drumming everywhere. It was pretty quiet for the first hour with just the normal woodland species and a couple of Woodcocks, I was hoping to see the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Crossbills but not having much luck. As I completed a circuit and came back to the newly coppiced area I heard a Crossbill called and then noticed 7 sitting in a tree about 50 meters away. I managed to get fairly close and got some photo's (for once had the sense to take my camera) but the light was low, the one shown was heavily cropped. When back at the car park I spent some time watching all the birds eating the french stick and donuts that are stuck on the branches by the kind benefactor, picked up Great, Blue and Coal Tit, 4 GS Woodpecker, Chaffinch and Robin's.

1 comment: