Saturday 17 March 2012

Unexpected find and an enjoyable short trip out

Spent the morning finishing off my new larger wildlife pond at the top of my garden. It was then down to my little old pond to transfer out of as much wildlife as possible to the new pond.

I new I had a number of smooth newts and normally during the summer months can count up to 15 but I was astounded to find 39 in the pond, which are now in there new home. Then, when I reached the bottom of the find I had an unexpected find, a three inch leech, how it go there I do not know but this too has gone into its new home, I just hope it doesn't suck all my newts to death.

In the afternoon I had an enjoyable short trip out with Nick, "The Shadoxhurst Garden". We decided drive down to the Romney Marsh. On finding the road to Rye still closed we took a diversion, sort of got lost and ended up finding a farmers reservoir we didn't know about. A quick look did not find much only a few Coots, but in the surrounding fields a Marsh Harrier was spotted sitting on the ground.

We drove down to the Woolpack for a walk out to the Marsh Harrier watch point and passed another Marsh Harrier, a splendid view of a Grey Heron sitting in the field, a Mistle Thrush and disturbed a scraggy Buzzard at the side of the road, which gave good views as it flew away.

Not much else seen after this from the watch point, a few Greylag Geese, another Marsh Harrier and a Sparrowhawk being the highlight, but an enjoyable few hours in the company of Nick, even if it was raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment