Monday 12 March 2012

A new bird in Surrey

I had to take my son down to Guildford today for an interview for University, once I had dropped him off I had 7 hours to kill, now what could I do. A trip to Farnham Heath sounded in order to get a Woodlark, a bird I have not yet seen, so off I go, and what a pain to try and find, I am sorry RSPB but you haven't got this one right as there are hardly any signposts telling you where to go, but with help from a local I finally pull up in the car park. Within 5 minutes of walking into the heath I had a Woodlark, and I was quite surprised how easy it was to find. I had been listening to the song over the weekend and straight away I heard one calling and located it quite quickly. In the end I had at least 5-6 different birds along with Chaffinch's, Goldfinches, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers and many Wrens and Robin.

Then I popped down the road to Thursley Common to find Stonechat and the Great Grey Shrike that has been reported there on Surrey Birds. First time I have been there and I was amazed how big it was with heathland stretching for miles. I soon located Stonechat and few other birds but could not find the Shrike, did however have some good views of what I believe was Roe Deer. I had to leave with so much more to see there,I could easily spend a day walking around.



A good day out for me, now just got to wait to see if my son got into Uni, if he does it could be more visits on the agenda.

2 comments:

  1. Vince,

    Wouldn't it be nice to have Woodlarks in Hamstreet woods!!

    Very much enjoying your blog, and pleased to see that you caught up with the Crossbills at Fags wood.
    Keep on posting!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick, yes it sure would be great to have them in our woods. Yes, got the Crossbills thanks to your post about seeing one fly over, I was determined to find them. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete