Saturday 3 March 2012

Newcomers to the garden


I spent some time in the garden today finishing off my new wildlife pond before the heavy rain comes tomorrow. I took a few minutes breather and noticed movement in the apple tree by the feeders and saw a flash of yellow and black and straight away thought, was that a Siskin. I hoped it was as I had not had Siskin in the garden before, plenty in Hamstreet Woods but not here. I moved back a few yards and sure enough a Siskin came out of the tree and onto the Nyjer seeds. I rushed indoors and grabbed my camera hoping that it was still on the feeder and it was, along with another. I managed to get a few shots before the flew off. Then about 10 minutes later I saw a raptor flying over, grabbing my bins I could see it was a Buzzard, which is a new one for the year across the village, and shortly after that 2 Common Gulls flew over, another new bird for this year in the village, so an interesting half hour, now, where was I with this pond?